Thursday, February 5, 2015

Influential Bliss

In English class we were given the option to write a poem answering the question, '"how much do we control our lives, choices, and actions?"  I didn't feel the need to write the usual one and a half pages, so I wrote a poem.

But that question got me thinking.

I believe we are a group of people who evolve in ways that are determined by the environments in which we are surrounded by. I know, that's not rocket science-but that factor alone contributes to when and how we grow. And if it is true that we evolve according to our surroundings then who has more control over our who we evolve to be? You or me as individuals? Or the people who consist of  where we are evolving?

That answer varies.

I use to believe that as an individual, I am completely in control of my own destiny. At least that's what I've always been told. But over the years I've drawn the conclusion that we can only be in control of so much.

To me, it's not entirely awful to have someone pulling my strings. I don't gag at the thought of someone telling me what my permissions are as long as I don't feel targeted or threatened. I don't see anything wrong with democracy, authority figures, or people who are permitted to tell others what they can and cannot due as long as it doesn't jeopardize our way of living and growing as people.

I guess what I'm saying is we are always in control of our lives. We can choose to flick off the switch, as well as change the light bulb. No matter what tasks we create to provide a sense of responsibility for others, we will always be the ones who can determine who enters our lives.

We are not the dissectors of the universe.

I don't think we were put on this planet to discover everything around us, because what will we do when there is nothing else to discover? I believe our purpose in being here, being alive, is simpler than that. I believe we are here to grow into fully evolved people who understand happiness, love, and sincerity, just as well as we understand failure, pain, and suffering.

And at that point we either fade away into a happy abyss or reproduce and pass that profitable knowledge down to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment