Thursday, February 26, 2015

*COUGH* DIVERSITY *COUGH*

Today in one of my classes, the topic of how culturally diverse my school is came up and of course the statements were so bogus that it's once again time for ranting with me! Woohoo.

Let's get one thing straight, my school is not diverse. It may be 40% black, 30% white, 20% Latina, and 10% other but the mentality is not diverse. Just because Bob, Billy, and Charlie all look different, that doesn't make them diverse. Why? Well because diversity in my eyes means different looks, different languages, different colors, different beliefs, the whole sha-bang. This will sound generalizing, but if 4 out of 5 black guys all wear hoodies and refer to each other as "niggas" then that's not diverse. That's monkey see, monkey do. What I'm saying is, almost everyone walks around in my school with the same mentality. The majority of the student body is consumed by social media, getting head, smoking blunts and following each other on instagram. The 10 Asians, and the two girls who wear hijabs don't make it any different.

And honestly this "we're so diverse" trend is getting extremely old. People everywhere are trying to blow up this lack of diversity as if it's equivalent to slavery or the oppression of women. Making the world diverse is as simple as hopscotch. You start with one square and you move around until your foot has touched every single box. It's the same with people. No matter how comfortable it may be to slump yourself with people who look the most like you, you cannot do that and expect to see fifty shades of the color wheel. Unfortunately, that's what people do. Everyone is always complaining because there's not enough black people on television or in the huge industries. Everyone wishes for a more diverse country yet all the white kids stick with the white kids and all the black kids stick with the black kids. The cookie is choosing to crumble.

I think I understand why that is though. I mean besides the fact that it's easier to go where you'll be accepted, it's sort of safer. I've been noticing the animosity that is brewing towards white people. Just today in the hallway, on my way to class, I saw this black guy snatch a rubix cube out of this white kid's hand and run away with it. The white kid chased him screaming for the guy to stop and give it back. He caught up with him by latching on to his backpack. Which is when this black teacher pulled them apart and the black guy got away with the cube. The white kid then had to be lectured about remaining calm, running in the hallway, and touching another student. Pissed. Me. Off.

Clearly, the meek little white boy wasn't going to hurt anybody. We ALL saw that. It was just disgusting, and yes I do think it had something to do with race because my school consists of a lot of power tripping bogus authority figures.

A few months ago, my mom who is white called in to the school to get me excused for the remainder of the day due to me being sick and the woman who was speaking to her over the phone kept interrupting her. (I was sitting in the office for the whole thing). Then she would bark at my mom yelling "speak!" after my mom respectfully asked her to let her get a sentence out. She ended up hanging up on her face and when her coworkers asked what happened she told them that she hung up because she wasn't going to let some white bitch talk to her like that. When my mom texted and told me what happened, I realized that I'd overheard the entire thing. So I got up, told the lady that it was my mom she was talking about, that my mom is very nice person, and that's she's not white but a cream color.

But anyway it's instances like that, that cause me to fear the way many black people are perpetuating ignorance and then feeding that bullshit to their children for dinner every night. And noting all of this perpetuated racism against whites through the generations makes me understand why the white kids stick with each other. Because they have become the target.

SONG FOR TODAY: Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar

No comments:

Post a Comment