Saturday, February 21, 2015

"I mean, day to day, I’m fine. I’m not like, a walking nervous breakdown. Ideologically, I don’t know, I guess I’m pretty fucked up. Like, I don’t really know what to think. I can deal with it, I’m content, but I don’t know what to make of it. Because where all of my music comes from is a place that – obviously there’s ego and there’s being a bit of a show off – but it comes from quite a humble, self-aware, self-deprecating place; which is why all these teenagers love the ideas that are in the music and they flock the hotel. But I’m still quite neurotic, as everybody is. So, when you’re really, really objectified and you don’t have time off or time away from that and you’re on tour for two and half years, and every time you get up there’s constant reminders of your projected personality…
It’s like I’ve said before, it’s this disconnect between art and reality. Where does it stop? Where do you let shit hurt you? When does it stop becoming material to work with? Like, at one point, everything’s just material. “Oh, I’m a bad person” – I can write about it. “Oh, she broke my heart” – I can write about it. It’s all those things wrapped up, but then there’s also an element of – because you’re a person who’s not the biggest fan of yourself anyway – you start thinking, “well, get over yourself, what are you getting upset about? Everything’s fucking brilliant.”
-Matty Healy.

No comments:

Post a Comment