Saturday, May 9, 2015

Why Can Beyonce Do It?

If you know me, I think you would know that I'm not very into social media. From the get-go I noticed it was just a place for people to reinvent themselves. It's a place to romanticize yourself through the use of meaningless irrelevant statuses and angled filtered photos. It's bullshit, accepted, and unlike sense in this country, it's common.

Anyway after encouragement and a few suggestions I started using Facebook and my old instagram. One day I was on  Facebook scrolling through my news feed which happened to be overflowing with pictures of Beyonce at the Met Gala this year.


I found it disturbingly interesting that a woman can attend a public event viewed world-wide by millions of people with 30% of her body covered and receive responses like:

"DID YA’LL SEE THIS BITCH OH MY GOD"
"BITCH YOU MADE ME STOP EATING DINNER SO I COULD DROP TO THE GROUND"
"FLAWLESS"
"We are not worthy of such an icon!!!" - Access Hollywood.
"#Goals"
"so much slayage it’s disgusting"
"she is so disrespectful for that shit - like you don’t go around destroying lives with your looks like that"
"Sorry Kim Kardashian, Imma let you finish, but Beyonce had the best sheer dress of the Met gala…"
"She’s definitely my met ball best dressed. I mean this dress is perfect for her, she literally looks like a queen of goddesses. She is nearly naked yet covered in golden jewels. She looks so radiant and beautiful, and I am so in love with this dress."

Don't get me wrong, it's always a wonderful thing to be so content with your body that you can care less about how others will perceive it. With that being said, anyone should be able to do exactly what Beyonce did and receive the same response. And if you disagree with that idea, ask yourself why. Why are celebrities or people with money and names known by everyone permitted such freedoms? Why is Justin Bieber able to pay his way out of going 60 mph in a 30 mph residential area all the while driving after consuming marijuana, alcohol, and prescription medicine? Why is shit like that deemed acceptable because he donated $50,000 to a youth charity? What fucking lesson do you learn if you pay your way out of your shit?


It's so hypocritical to encourage people to appreciate and adore their bodies then set a standard of what specific people are or aren't allowed to wear. 


Kylie Jenner gets praised and worshiped after posting a picture in a bikini, which is absolutely no different from posting a picture in your undies + bra. Normal everyday teens who are her age are socially crucified for doing that shit. And it's wrong, it's very fucked up. 

People literally go to the extreme of harming themselves after having their physical image attacked and analyzed. It's so pathetic that kids aren't taught while their young and continuously not to create people. Instead kids are shown how to romanticize materials and physical features they will never have. One of the first things people should learn before they're exposed to the world is how to love themselves. 

I have nothing against celebrities as they are only people I do not know. But I believe in equity and equality for all. Even if that makes me sound like a campaign slogan for Obama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment